Starbucks has done it again! They've recently unveiled their surprise holiday beverage, the Merry Mint White Mocha, and it's everything a winter drink should be. Imagine a rich, creamy iced white chocolate mocha, gracefully topped with a swirl of peppermint chocolate cream cold foam. While this cup of holiday cheer is only available in stores until December 22nd, I'm happy to announce I've cracked the code to make it at home!
My holiday gift to you is that you can recreate this minty iced white chocolate mocha with cold foam — without stepping out into the chilly winter air or denting your wallet. I've crafted the perfect copycat recipe that's a dead ringer for this magical elixir. And the best part? It's a simple, 5-minute recipe that's incredibly easy to whip up at home.
And, while Starbucks' Merry Mint White Mocha will disappear after December 22nd, your newfound skill won't. Once you learn this secret recipe, you can enjoy this festive treat whenever the craving strikes – be it a sunny July afternoon or a snowy December evening. Get your espresso machine ready – your very own merry iced white mocha with peppermint chocolate cold foam awaits!
- What is Starbucks’ Merry Mint White Mocha?
- What does it taste like?
- Why You’ll Love This Merry Mint White Mocha Recipe
- Ingredients Needed
- How To Make An Iced White Mocha with Peppermint Chocolate Cream Cold Foam
- Optional Variations & Dietary Adjustments
- Serving Suggestions
- Recipe Success Tips
- Homemade Iced Black & White Mint Mocha Nutrition
- Other Starbucks Holiday Drinks
- Merry Mint White Mocha Recipe (Starbucks Copycat)
What is Starbucks’ Merry Mint White Mocha?
Haven't experienced the wonder of Starbucks' newest holiday treat yet? Prepare yourself for a delightfully wintry flavor wonderland! It all starts with a classic iced white chocolate mocha—smooth, lusciously sweet, and crafted with robust espresso and sumptuous white chocolate syrup.
The enchantment of the holiday season truly comes alive in its topping: a sumptuous layer of dark chocolate peppermint cold foam. Imagine a fluffy, creamy cloud infused with the bold, fresh essence of peppermint and the rich, indulgent taste of dark chocolate—a blend that's both invigorating and comforting.
To complete this festive creation, the drink is elegantly garnished with fine chocolate shavings, adding a sophisticated flair and a bit more chocolate delight. Perfect for those seeking a festive mood booster or a well-crafted mocha twist, the Merry Mint White Mocha promises to leave your spirits merry and bright!
What does it taste like?
The first sip of this black and white mocha is like diving into a cloud of sweet dreams — the smooth, rich base of the iced white chocolate mocha envelops your tastebuds in a velvety embrace, where the bold espresso meets the creamy sweetness of white chocolate syrup in a perfect dance.
Then comes the whimsical twist – the dark chocolate peppermint cold foam is like a playful snowball fight for your mouth. It's a frothy, airy kiss of peppermint, mingling with deep, luscious dark chocolate. This magical blend sits atop the mocha like a crown, adding a refreshing zing and a dash of holiday cheer with each sip.
And let's not forget the delicate chocolate shavings that sprinkle over, adding a whimsical touch of chocolatey elegance. Together, these layers create a festive symphony in your mouth, leaving you in a merry state of bliss. Essentially, it’s like a chocolate cold foam cold brew and an iced peppermint white mocha had a creamy, dreamy baby!
Why You’ll Love This Merry Mint White Mocha Recipe
This homemade Merry Mint White Mocha recipe is your ticket to a festive, coffee-shop quality drink right in your own kitchen. Here's why you're gonna love it:
- Cost-Effective Starbucks Experience: Enjoy the luxury of a Starbucks holiday special without leaving your home or breaking the bank. This recipe lets you replicate the coffeehouse experience at a fraction of the cost, allowing you to indulge in this festive treat more often.
- Holiday Cheer Anytime: While the Starbucks version is a seasonal offering ending December 22nd, your homemade Merry Mint White Mocha knows no calendar. Craving that holiday spirit in April or longing for a taste of winter in August? No problem! This recipe lets you recreate those merry minty moments whenever you desire.
- Customizable to Your Taste: One of the joys of homemade is making it your own. Adjust the levels of sweetness, the intensity of the peppermint, or even the type of milk to suit your personal taste. Want an extra chocolatey touch? Go ahead and add more shavings!
- Simplicity at Its Best: No need for fancy equipment or hard-to-find ingredients. This recipe breaks down the Starbucks favorite into easy, manageable steps, making it accessible for all, whether you're a coffee brewing novice or a seasoned barista.
To make this delectable Starbucks peppermint mocha cold foam goodness at home, you’ll need:
- Heavy Cream & Whole Milk - We’ll mix these together in a 2-to-1 ratio for a slightly richer version of half-n-half to make the chocolate peppermint cold foam.
- Peppermint Syrup - Homemade is cheaper, but you can also use store-bought if you prefer.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - For rich chocolatey flavor. I suggest using Dutch-processed cocoa powder for the best results, but conventional cocoa powder, black cocoa powder, or even raw cacao powder can all be used instead.
- Espresso - The heart of our white chocolate mocha base! Brew it fresh for the best flavor.
- White Chocolate Sauce - While I love my homemade white mocha syrup, store-bought is fine, too!
- Milk of Choice - If you order this drink at Starbucks, you’ll get whole milk unless otherwise specified. That’s what I used and what the nutritional facts are based on.
- Ice - To keep everything frosty and delicious. If possible, use ice made from filtered water for the best results.
- Chocolate Shavings - The Starbucks version adds chocolate shavings, though mini chocolate chips work just as well. Note that these are optional for a garnish; feel free to omit them if you prefer.
Need to make some changes to your white peppermint mocha Starbucks creation? Not to worry! When you’re the barista, you can do whatever you want. Here are some easy swaps to try:
- Heavy Cream - Feel free to swap in vegan whipping cream or coconut cream instead.
- Whole Milk - You’re also welcome to use a full-fat plant-based milk option like oat milk or soy if you prefer.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - If you want to omit the dark chocolate flavor and keep this a more pure white peppermint mocha, you can sub in 1 teaspoon of vanilla syrup instead.
- Espresso - Take a page from my iced white mocha recipe and use cold brew in place of espresso.
- Ice - Feel free to swap in coffee ice cubes for an even more potent glass of coffee goodness.
- Chocolate Shavings - You’re welcome to use crushed peppermint candies to double down on the minty goodness if you prefer.
How To Make An Iced White Mocha with Peppermint Chocolate Cream Cold Foam
This Starbucks peppermint mocha cold brew concoction comes together with just a few simple steps:
Step 1: Add the heavy cream, 1 tablespoon whole milk, peppermint syrup, and cocoa powder to a small glass or mason jar.
Step 2: Froth the mixture with a milk frother for 15-30 seconds to make chocolate peppermint cold foam. Set aside.
Step 3: Brew your espresso into a tall glass, then stir in the white chocolate sauce.
Step 4: Stir in the ¾ cup milk, then top with ice.
Step 5: Pour the chocolate peppermint cold foam over the iced white mocha.
Step 6: Garnish with mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings if desired. Drink up!
Optional Variations & Dietary Adjustments
Whether you're looking for a healthier twist, a dairy-free option, or just want to shake things up a bit, here are some variations to try:
- Dairy-Free, Vegan Delight: Switch out the regular milk and cream for your favorite non-dairy alternatives. Use a barista blend of almond, oat, or coconut milk. For the cream, make sure to opt for an unsweetened heavy cream alternative like coconut cream or vegan heavy whipping cream.
- Sugar-Free Swap: Watching your sugar intake? Use sugar-free syrups to enjoy the sweet, creamy goodness without the extra calories or sugar crash.
- Decaf: Want the flavor without the buzz? Use your favorite decaf espresso blend instead.
- All-White Peppermint Cold Foam: Not a fan of dark chocolate? Keep your merry minty mocha white as fresh fallen snow by swapping out the cocoa powder for vanilla simple syrup.
Remember, life all about creating those small moments of joy and indulgence. Here are some fun ways to turn your coffee break into a special moment:
- Pair with Holiday Treats: Complement your Merry Mint White Mocha with your favorite seasonal pastries or cookies. Think Christmas donuts, brownie crinkle cookies, or chewy molasses spice cookies – their flavors harmonize beautifully with the minty, chocolatey notes of the mocha.
- Create a Cozy Atmosphere: Serve your beverage in your favorite holiday mug, and if you're feeling extra festive, add a candy cane as a stirrer. Sipping this delightfully minty drink while wrapped in a cozy blanket, with your favorite holiday music or movie in the background? It's the perfect way to recharge my Mrs. Claus batteries!
- Perfect for Gatherings: Impress your guests by serving this festive drink at your holiday party or family gathering. It's a fantastic addition to brunch menus, but can also be spiked for nighttime festivities. Try adding a tipple of peppermint schnapps, white or dark chocolate liqueur, Bailey's or Kahlua — they're all delicious mix-ins!
Recipe Success Tips
To ensure your creation is as delightful as it can be, here are some tips to help you achieve recipe success:
- Quality Ingredients Matter: Use high-quality espresso and syrups for the best flavor. I suggest making as much as you can from scratch so you know your syrups are fresh and flavorful.
- Get the Foam Right: Achieving the perfect cold foam consistency can be tricky. If you have a milk frother, use it to get that light, airy texture. No frother? No problem! A tightly sealed jar and some vigorous shaking, a little elbow grease and a whisk, or a hand-mixer with a whisk attachment can do the trick too.
- Serve Immediately: This drink is best enjoyed fresh. The cold foam and iced mocha blend beautifully when served immediately, offering the perfect sip every time.
Yes, though you should note that store-bought white chocolate syrup is generally thinner and may be a bit sweeter than the sauce. Just be aware that the consistency and sweetness of your drink might vary slightly from the original recipe. That said, it's a great alternative if it's what you have on hand!
Yes, kind of. You can save the peppermint chocolate cold foam in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours, though it's best when fresh. Before using it again, you may need to give it a quick whisk or froth to revive its texture, as it will deflate and lose its airiness over time.
Homemade Iced Black & White Mint Mocha Nutrition
While the Merry Mint White Mocha is undoubtedly a treat, it's worth considering the nutritional implications of your choices! Each serving of this delightful drink packs 438 calories and 18 grams of fat. It's on the higher side, typical for a luxurious, holiday-inspired coffee treat. But, not all is lost — you you also get a decent protein kick with 9 grams per serving. The sodium content is fairly moderate at 207 mg.
When it comes to carbohydrates, it totals up to 60 grams, largely due to sugars — about 53 grams. That's quite a bit, nudging close to the daily recommended limit for added sugars. But let's be real, the deliciousness of this drink makes it a worthwhile splurge, especially during the festive season.
The beauty of making this drink at home is the control you have over how it's made. Feel free to switch to lower-calorie milk, use reduced-sugar syrups, and even forgo the chocolate garnish to dial back on the indulgence. This customization lets you savor the holiday spirit in your cup while staying true to your health and dietary preferences.
Total nutritional content per serving is:
- Calories: 438 calories
- Total Fat: 18 grams
- Protein: 9 grams
- Sodium: 207 mg
- Carbohydrates: 60 grams
- Sugar: 53 grams
*This nutritional information is an estimate and calculated based on the ingredients used to create the recipe. The nutritional value of your ingredients may differ slightly. Furthermore, this food is not intended to prevent, diagnose, cure, or treat any disease.
Other Starbucks Holiday Drinks
Merry Mint White Mocha Recipe (Starbucks Copycat)
Chocolate Peppermint Cold Foam
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 ½ tbsp peppermint syrup
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Make the chocolate peppermint cold foam. Add the heavy cream, 1 tablespoon whole milk, peppermint syrup, and cocoa powder to a small glass or mason jar. Use a milk frother to froth the mixture, about 15-30 seconds. Set aside.
- Brew your espresso into a tall glass, then stir in the white chocolate sauce. Stir in the ¾ cup milk, then top with ice.
- Pour the chocolate peppermint cold foam over the iced white mocha, then garnish with mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings if desired. Drink up!