If you're looking for a spot-on, sip-for-sip replica of Starbucks' Pistachio Cream Cold Brew, you've found it! Featuring the perfect blend of lightly sweetened cold brew, lusciously fluffy pistachio cream, and irresistibly crunchy browned butter cookie bits, this nutty Coffee Copycat masterpiece has a sweet profile and is sure to delight your senses. Best of all, my homemade version boasts just a handful of readily available ingredients.
When it comes to my all-time favorite Starbucks creations, pistachio cream cold foam might just take the cake. With a cozy flavor of sweet pistachio and a dreamy cloud-like consistency, it is by far one of my favorite ways to sweeten cold brew.
But that’s not all this copycat pistachio cold brew has going for it. The pièce de résistance, in the form of homemade brown butter cookie bits, floats atop the luscious pistachio cream, adding crunchy, buttery contrast and a feeling of warmth to each velvety sip.
And if that hasn’t sold you, my recipe is all about keeping things simple and clean. All you need are a few easy-to-find ingredients. And guess what? There are no artificial preservatives, colors, or stabilizers in sight. Just pure, unadulterated coffee bliss at a fraction of the price you’d pay in a café. So coffee lovers, are you ready to brew up some nut-loving bliss? Let’s get started!
- What is a pistachio cream cold brew?
- What does it taste like?
- Why You’ll Love This Pistachio Cream Cold Brew Recipe
- Ingredients Needed
- How To Make Starbucks Pistachio Cream Cold Brew At Home
- Optional Variations & Dietary Adjustments
- Recipe Success Tips
- Homemade Pistachio Cream Cold Brew Nutrition
- Other Starbucks Copycat Recipes
- Pistachio Cream Cold Brew (Starbucks Copycat)
What is a pistachio cream cold brew?
My homemade Starbucks pistachio sweet cream cold brew is the kind of drink that makes a cold winter day feel a bit more special. It all starts with a tall glass of bold cold brew, lightly sweetened with a dual drizzle of vanilla syrup and pistachio syrup.
Perched on top of this already tantalizing iced coffee is a layer of fluffy pistachio cream cold foam that gently melds into the coffee below, adding sweetness and just the right amount of creamy dreaminess.
And, just when you thought it couldn't get any better, we top it all with a generous sprinkle of salted brown-butter cookie bits. They're the optional but highly encouraged cherry on top – adding a crunch and a touch of salt that brings the whole pistachio cold foam cold brew together.
What does it taste like?
This delightful sipper tastes like your favorite coffee shop jazzed up a classic Starbucks cold brew with a pistachio party and a sprinkle of fun. First up, there's the cold brew itself – smooth, robust, with a sweet kiss of nutty flavors and vanilla goodness.
Now, enter the silky pistachio cream cold foam. It's indulgently rich, nutty, and just the right kind of sweet. Think of it as a fluffy, pistachio-flavored cloud floating on top of your coffee, raining down its awesomeness to the dark java below.
And those salted brown butter sprinkles? They're the magic sparkles on this pistachio flavor ride. They bring a hint of saltiness and a buttery crunch that makes everything pop. Put it all together, and you've got a cup of pure coffee magic. It's nutty, salty-sweet, and has a whole lot of personality.
Why You’ll Love This Pistachio Cream Cold Brew Recipe
Here's why this homemade pistachio cream cold brew is about to become your new morning bestie:
- Flavor That Wows: Take that first sip and you'll be wondering if you've turned into a bona fide barista overnight. The blend of robust cold brew with the creamy, nutty pistachio foam is a match made in coffee heaven. It perfectly captures the Starbucks experience without any of the fancy equipment.
- Budget-Friendly Brews: If you're anything like me and are trying to recover from all the holiday spending, cutting out your daily coffee runs is a simple thing to do. But, it's not like you're stuck with plain ol' Joe — with this recipe, you get all the fancy coffee shop deliciousness without the dent in your wallet.
- All-Natural Goodness: Wave goodbye to hard-to-pronounce ingredients like carrageenan and mono- and di-glycerides in that Starbucks cup. My from-scratch recipe uses simple, all-natural ingredients so you know exactly what goes in your cup. No weird artificial stuff or preservatives here. Just good, honest flavors that you can feel great about.
As promised, we’re keeping it super simple in the ingredients department. Here’s what you need to grab:
- Biscoff Cookies - If you’ve yet to try these sweetly spiced Belgian biscuits, you’re in for a treat. If you can’t find Lotus brand, look for cookies called “Speculoos.” If you can find them, Windmill cookies are also quite similar.
- Salted Butter - For giving the cookie bits a magical cloak of browned butter. For the absolute best flavor, use cultured grass-fed butter.
- Heavy Cream & Whole Milk - With a ratio of 2 parts cream to 1 part milk, this richer-than-half-n-half blend is what allows the cold foam to whip up into a dreamy cloud.
- Pistachio Syrup & Vanilla Syrup - While you’re welcome to buy your coffee syrups at Starbucks or from a syrup company like Monin or Torani, my homemade versions are cheaper, simple to make, and super delicious.
- Cold Brew Coffee - The caffeinated heart of our recipe.
Fresh out of something? Don’t worry. Here are a few ingredients you can swap out:
- Biscoff Cookies - Regular butter cookies or shortbread cookies will also be delicious, although they won’t have the cinnamony, caramelly flavor of speculoos.
- Salted Butter - If you only have unsalted on hand, simply add a pinch of salt. You can also use vegan butter if needed.
- Heavy Cream - If you’re dairy-free, coconut cream or vegan whipping cream will work great.
- Whole Milk - A high fat content is required to whip air into the mix to make cold foam. If you’re going the dairy-free route, choose a full-fat dairy alternative — preferably one that is a “barista blend.”
- Cold Brew Coffee - You can also use regularly brewed coffee that has been chilled, or swap in freshly pulled espresso shots mixed with cool water to make an iced americano.
How To Make Starbucks Pistachio Cream Cold Brew At Home
While this pistachio cream cold brew Starbucks copycat does have a few extra steps, none of them are particularly difficult. Here’s how it’s done:
Step 1: Make Brown Butter Cookie Bits (optional). In a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Continue to heat until browned, then stir in the crushed cookies. Continue to cook for another 30 seconds, then remove from heat and set aside.
Step 2: Add the heavy cream, pistachio syrup, and whole milk to a small glass or container.
Step 3: Make Pistachio Cold Foam. Froth the cream, syrup, and milk mixture with a milk frother for 15-30 seconds. Set aside.
Step 4: Add the cold brew coffee to a tall glass.
Step 5: Stir in 2 tablespoons pistachio syrup and 1 teaspoon vanilla syrup. Top with ice.
Step 6: Assemble. Pour the cold foam over the sweetened cold brew coffee, then sprinkle with the brown butter cookie topping, if desired. Drink up!
A Note on the Brown Butter Cookie Topping
The brown butter cookie bits are simple enough to whip up, and I’ve written the recipe so each batch will make enough for 4 drinks. A single serving of these crispy, salty-sweet little gems is just 1 tablespoon, but my batch makes ¼ cup.
I suggest making it in advance — it will keep well in an airtight container at room temp for a full 2 weeks, so nutty taste of coffee bliss is never far from reach. They’re also delicious sprinkled on top of ice cream sundaes!
Optional Variations & Dietary Adjustments
Want to do some customizing? Have at it — without any dumb upcharges! 🥳💰
- Dairy-Free/Vegan - To make this pistachio coffee drink dairy-free, simply swap in vegan whipping cream and full-fat plant-based milk (e.g. soy or oat). If you want to ensure it’s vegan-friendly, be sure to use organic sugar when you make your syrups.
- Gluten-Free - You can either omit the crunchy cookie topping or make it using the gluten-free shortbread cookies of your choice.
- Decaf - Use coarsely ground decaf coffee beans to make your cold brew still the perfect flavor without the jitters.
- Extra Caffeinated - If you need a little extra pep in your step, try adding a shot (or two!) of espresso to the simple cold brew base.
- Brunch Time Showstopper: This pistachio-flavored java is the perfect pick-me-up to sip on while enjoying your favorite brunch dishes like fluffy protein pancakes or a savory quiche. Your friends will be buzzing about it (and not just from the caffeine!).
- Afternoon Delight: Hit that afternoon slump? Whip up this delightful brew. It's a great way to perk up your day and goes amazingly well with a light snack. Try it with some fruit or, better yet, a few pieces of dark chocolate – the ultimate pick-me-up combo.
- Dessert Pairing Perfection: Coffee and dessert? Yes, please! Serve it with a creamy slice of cheesecake or maybe a piece of baklava or pecan pie to double down on the nutty goodness.
- Car Line Cuppa: Rather than looking at waiting in line to pick up the kiddos as a chore, take it as a moment for self-care. I like to throw on a brief guided meditation, then reward myself with a tasty coffee drink and a sweet treat like a cookie. Just don't forget to bring a snack for the kids so they don't steal yours!
Recipe Success Tips
- Plan ahead. Make the salted cookie bits, cold brew, vanilla syrup, and homemade pistachio syrup on your meal prep day. That way, all you have to do in the morning is quickly whip up your cold foam and assemble the drink. When your mise en place is ready to go, making one is way faster than waiting in the Starbucks line!
- Nail the Pistachio Cream Foam: Getting the pistachio cream foam just right is crucial. I strongly suggest getting a wand-style milk frother for just this purpose. It takes up barely any space in the kitchen, is less than $15, and will ensure frothy perfection every time.
- Sweeten to Taste: When it comes to adding the syrups to the cold brew, adjust the sweetness to your liking. Some like it sweeter, some prefer it subtle. Start with the recipe as a guideline, then experiment to find your perfect balance.
- Chill Your Glass: For an extra refreshing experience, chill your serving glasses in the freezer for about 15 minutes before pouring in the cold brew. This little trick keeps your drink cooler for longer.
- Perfect the Sprinkles: Those salted brown buttery sprinkles are the icing on the cake. Make sure to heat them over medium heat with a watchful eye (and nose!) so they get perfectly browned, not burnt. Sprinkle them on just before serving to maintain their crunch.
Yep, it's only available for a limited time at Starbucks stores. The pistachio syrup used for this cold brew is a winter delicacy that disappears at the first signs of spring. However, now that you know how to make it at home, you can whip one up whenever the craving hits!
This drink isn’t vegan if you get it at Starbucks, but you can get it gluten-free by omitting the cookie sprinkles. That said, when you make it at home, you can make it both vegan and celiac-friendly! Hop up to the “optional variations” section to learn how.
All signs point to yes, especially since it’s so popular. But, now that you know how to make it yourself, it doesn’t matter if it disappears from the Starbucks menu forever. You can make one whenever (and however) your little heart pleases. Hooray!
Starbucks released this new pistachio cream cold brew drink for the winter season (following the new year) in 2022. The coffee chain released the fan-favorite pistachio latte in 2021, though.
Homemade Pistachio Cream Cold Brew Nutrition
Each serving of this pistachio delight packs about 258 calories, which I think is a reasonable indulgence for your daily treat. You're looking at 11 grams of total fat, which comes mainly from the creamy goodness of the pistachio foam. And with 1 gram of protein, it's not a protein powerhouse, but hey, we're here for the coffee, right?
The sodium content sits at a pretty modest 28 mg per serving, which is great news for those watching their salt intake. Carbohydrate-wise, it totals 38 grams, including 35 grams of sugar. Most of this comes from the vanilla syrup, so if you're watching your sugar intake, you can always adjust the amount to suit your needs.
And remember, this doesn’t include the brown butter topping. If you decide to sprinkle some on (TBH you totally should), the brown-buttery sprinkles add an extra 44 calories, 4 grams of fat, 37 mg of sodium, 3 grams of carbs, and 1.5 grams of sugar per tablespoon. It's a little extra, but sometimes, a little extra is exactly what we need!
While it's certainly a treat, it's nice to know that with this homemade pistachio cream goodness, you have control over what goes in, so you can make it work with whatever your dietary limitations may be. You can even reduce the amount of cold foam if you'd like! Cheers to guilt-free sips! ☕💚
Total nutritional content per serving is:
- Calories: 258 calories
- Total Fat: 11 grams
- Protein: 1 gram
- Sodium: 28 mg
- Carbohydrates: 38 grams
- Sugar: 35 grams
*This nutritional information is an estimate and calculated based on the ingredients used to create the recipe. The nutritional value of your ingredients may differ slightly. Furthermore, this food is not intended to prevent, diagnose, cure, or treat any disease.
Other Starbucks Copycat Recipes
Pistachio Cream Cold Brew (Starbucks Copycat)
Brown Butter Cookie Topping (optional)
- ¼ cup crushed Biscoff cookies (or butter cookies)
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
Pistachio Cold Foam
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon pistachio syrup
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- Make the cookie topping (optional). In a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Continue to heat until browned, then stir in the crushed cookies. Continue to cook for another 30 seconds, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Make the pistachio cold foam. Add the heavy cream, pistachio syrup, and whole milk to a small glass or container and froth with a milk frother for 15-30 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the cold brew coffee to a tall glass, then stir in 2 tablespoons pistachio syrup and 1 teaspoon vanilla syrup. Top with ice.
- Pour the cold foam over the sweetened cold brew coffee, then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of brown butter cookie topping, if desired. Drink up!